Divorce Modifications Attorney

Divorce Decree Modifications

After a divorce has been finalized, it may be necessary to modify certain terms of the agreement. This may happen in cases where a divorce was done without the help of a lawyer, resulting in unfair terms, or when a person has experienced a substantial change in the circumstances of his or her life.

At Law Offices of Michelanne Hrubic, our attorney can let you know what your options are when it comes to amending a divorce decree. To schedule an initial consultation at our law firm in Riverside, call 951-888-1574.

Modifying Certain Terms

There are certain terms of a divorce agreement, such as property division, that are generally not subject to modification. However, California divorce law recognizes that when a person’s circumstances have substantially changed, it may be necessary to change certain aspects of the agreement. A substantial change in circumstances may include the loss of a job, a remarriage or a need to move out of state.

One of the most frequently modified aspects of a divorce decree are those involving child custody and visitation. These are usually sought when one parent is planning to relocate, or when there have been accusations of neglect or abuse. Another aspect that is often modified in changing a divorce decree is the terms of child support, particularly when a parent has lost a job or, alternatively, when he or she has received a substantial bump in income. If spousal support, or alimony, is part of a divorce agreement, that may be modified upon remarriage or when the spouse receiving payments has become self-sufficient.

Contact Our Family Law Attorney In California

Whether you are seeking a modification or wish to challenge an ex’s request for a divorce decree modification, we can help explore your options. Call 951-888-1574 or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation to discuss your situation.

Family Law

Contact Our Firm

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.